A Swiss roll has many names: jelly roll, roll cake, cream roll, and even Swiss log. The supposedly Central European dessert is typically made from a rolled sponge cake filled with icing, whipped cream, or even jam. Though its origins are a smudgy part of culinary history books, it has been embraced by families across the United States, who bake it for all occasions. You’ll even found commercial versions of the cake sitting on grocery store shelves, from Ho Hos and Yodels to Swiss Cake Rolls.
With this recipe for a Pumpkin Roll, though, you can ditch the Little Debbie’s and enjoy home-baked goodness made with tender love and care. This Pumpkin Roll brings together the best flavors of the autumn season and makes the perfect addition to your Thanksgiving dessert table. Check it out below!
• 3 large eggs, beaten
• 1 cup white sugar
• ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
• ⅔ cup pumpkin puree
• ¾ cup all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 2 tablespoons butter, softened
• 8 ounces cream cheese
• 1 cup confectioners' sugar
• ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
• Extra confectioners' sugar for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter or grease one 10x15 inch jelly roll pan.
2. In a mixing bowl, blend together the eggs, sugar, cinnamon, and pumpkin. In a separate bowl, mix flour and baking soda. Add to pumpkin mixture to your dry ingredients and blend until smooth. Evenly spread the mixture over the prepared jelly roll pan.
3. Bake 15 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove from oven and allow to cool enough to handle.
4. Remove cake from pan and place on a cotton tea towel. Roll up the cake by rolling the towel inside the cake and place the seam side down to cool.
5. Prepare the frosting, blending the butter, cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla.
6. When the cake is completely cooled, unroll, and spread with cream cheese filling. Roll up again without a towel. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve. Once ready to serve, sprinkle the top with confectioners’ sugar and slice into 8 to 10 portions.
There’s nothing like expanding your meal plan with a new recipe! Oxford at Tech Ridge Apartments in Austin, Texas is proud to introduce you to new ideas that will keep your family coming back for more.