Italian food is warm, comforting, and fulfilling – not to mention, absolutely delicious. If you’re hung up on the same, old recipes, however, you might find yourself in search for something new. Composed of pantry staples, thick cuts of eggplant, and breadcrumbs for the perfect texture, this Eggplant Parmesan recipe fits your list of requirements when it comes to Italian food. Plus, it’s super simple to make, and you don’t even have to overheat your apartment home with the oven! Ready to get started? Check out the ingredients list and directions below.
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 3/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 cup dried breadcrumbs, seasoned
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup spaghetti sauce
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Dried pasta, optional
- In a small bowl beat the egg and water together. Place the breadcrumbs in shallow dish. Dip eggplant slices in egg mixture then in crumbs, being sure to coat thoroughly.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add eggplant slices and reduce heat to medium. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side or until golden brown and tender.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over eggplant during last minute of cooking to melt.
- While eggplant is cooking, combine spaghetti sauce and pepper flakes in a microwave-safe measuring cup. Cover with plastic wrap and cook at high power for 2 minutes or until heated through.
- Top eggplant with sauce and Parmesan cheese and serve. Note: If you choose to add pasta, prepare according to the ingredients on the box and serve with your Eggplant Parmesan!
Oxford at Tech Ridge Apartments in Austin, Texas