Who doesn’t love cookies? Soft, chewy, and delicious, they make the perfect treat for the whole family. If you’re tired of the traditional chocolate chip or oatmeal raisin, it might be good to freshen up your dessert repertoire with these sweet and zesty lemon cookies! Check out the recipe below:
• ½ cup unsalted butter softened
• ¾ cup granulated sugar
• 2 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
• 1 large egg
• 1 tablespoon lemon extract
• 2 tablespoons lemon zest
• 1 tablespoon honey
• Yellow food color, optional and as desired
• 2 cups flour
• 2 teaspoons cornstarch
• Pinch salt, optional and to taste
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 2 tablespoons lemon juice
1. With a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine butter, sugars, egg, and lemon extract. Beat on medium-high speed until creamed, light, fluffy, and well combined— about 4 minutes.
2. Scrape the sides of the bowl and then add lemon zest, honey, and optional food coloring. Beat on medium-high speed until well combined, or for about 2 minutes.
3. Scrape the side of the bowl again and add the flour, cornstarch, optional salt, and baking soda. Note: Keep the baking soda in a nice mound, instead of sprinkling it.
4. Add the lemon juice directly on top of the baking soda. It should bubble and foam. Then, beat mixture on low speed until combined, about 1 minute.
5. Scrape the sides of the bowl one last time, and using a large cookie scoop, or ¼ cup measure, form approximately 12 equal-sized mounds of dough, roll into balls, and flatten slightly.
6. Place mounds on a large plate, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
7. Once ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheet with cooking spray and place dough balls at least 2-inches apart. There should be no more than 8 cookies per sheet.
8. Bake for 10 minutes, or until edges and tops are set. Then, allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for another 10 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
It’s always exciting to spice up your daily routine with something new! That’s why Oxford at Tech Ridge Apartments in Austin, Texas encourages you to try out our weekly recipes, crafts, and lifestyle tips.